Monday, February 6, 2012

More ATN Fun

About two weeks ago, while I was suffering from a bad cold, I received the second issue of Archaeological Textiles Newsletter for 2011.  2011 will be the last year that ATN publishes two issues per year; after this, it will publish only one issue, which will be as big as the two former issues combined, so subscribers will get just as much information, but will receive mailings less often.  The name of the publication will also change to "Archaeological Textiles Review".

The issue I received was interesting enough that it convinced me to renew my membership, and I urge my readers to do so to continue to support them.  This issue contains the following articles:
  • Meo, Francesco. Rediscovering ancient activities:  textile tools in a 3rd-2nd century BC context from Herekleia, Southern Basilicata, Italy.
  • Lipkin, Sanna and Salmi, Anna-Kaisa.  A 16th century silk fabric fragment from northern Finland.  
  • Alipour, Rahil, Gleba, Margarita, and Rehren, Thilo.  Textile templates for ceramic crucibles in early Islamic Akhsiket, Uzbekistan.
  • Mazare, Paula. Textiles and pottery:  Insights into Neolithic and Copper Age pottery manufacturing techniques from Romania.
  • Orfinskaya, Olga and Pushkina, Tatyana.  10th century AD textiles from female burial II-301 at Gnezdovo, Russia.
To me, the most interesting article was the one about the Gnezdovo find.  To my surprise, although this burial is a chamber grave lined with boards like the Pskov grave containing the tortoise brooches, the textile find isn't even remotely like the Pskov find or any Scandinavian find of the period. Instead, it looks Central Asian.  The article describes the textiles from the grave in detail, and I'll write about it later this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment