Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sewing for Byzantium--Manazan shirt completed!

I finally finished my Manazan shirt. Here are the full-length pictures of it, as promised. As you can see, the shirt is more than a bit rumpled, because I've been working on it for over a month, and I haven't ironed it (but then, why should I? It looks more authentic this way.)

I'm not quite sure whether the flat-felled seams are supposed to show as much as they do. (I tend to draw my stitches rather tight; that's probably a flaw in sewing flat-felled seams.) On the other hand, I figure: 1) it's underwear, after all, and; 2) it's the most complex garment I've sewn entirely by hand to date, so I'm entitled to some awkwardness. But there's no major mistakes, and it fits perfectly! The only problem I have with it is that the tiny clapperless bell I'm using as a collar button is hard to get the loop around when I'm wearing the garment. (I have no trouble fastening it when I'm not wearing it.) However, the button is a minor problem. Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with how the shirt came out. Peter Beatson's pattern was fairly easy to follow, and following it produced good results.

Now, on to the himation!

2 comments:

  1. I am in the process of making this shirt although I am using a machine to do it. seeing the photos you posted has helped me figure out the collar thanks and great job on the shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of service! Good luck with your shirt; I'd love to see a picture of it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete