Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Second Anniversary

Today is the second anniversary of this blog.

Writing it, and reading all the comments I have received, and following up on the information I got from the comments, has been even better than I thought it would be when I started. Thanks to all of my readers!

To add just a bit of tangentially relevant content to this post, here is a link to an article from the Irish Times about a 5,000 year old find from Twyford County in Ireland. That find is of a largish fragment of basket. The article refers to it as a "Neolithic handbag" but I suspect it was more of a bag for carrying fruit or vegetables or other foods a Stone Age gatherer might have found. There are two pictures--one of the find itself, and one a reconstruction drawing showing how the original basket might have looked when new. I commend it to my readers' attention, and thank my friend John Desmond for bringing my attention to the article.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Blogiversary! Thank you for posting!

    I'm LOLing at the idea of a neolithic handbag. I can just imagine Ooug going out for the evening with her chalk-rock lipstick, a few pretty shells for currency, and a spare wad of sanitary moss - just in case! What would a neolithic woman have carried in a handbag except fruits and foods?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would a neolithic woman have carried in a handbag except fruits and foods?

    Exactly. What indeed? It only goes to show to what lengths a reporter will go to craft a catchier headline.

    ReplyDelete