Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Viking Brooch Tutorial

I haven't managed a lot of costume-related activity lately due to my search for a new job (and because I'm doing part-time work in the meantime).  However, I did learn about this interesting page on the Archaeology in Europe site which gives a nice, step-by-step, illustrated tutorial as to the process by which the Viking tortoise brooches were made.  I commend this beautifully done tutorial to your attention, while I attempt to get an opportunity to do some serious working, thinking, and writing, about costume.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! It's not really connected with Viking brooches, but maybe you'll find the article interesting: 'Early medieval textile remains from settlements in the Netherlands. An evaluation of textile production' by Chrystel R. Brandenburgh http://dpc.uba.uva.nl/jalc/02/nr01/a02
    - some unusual caps are mentioned there, similar to the Rasquert and Leens finds described by Hanna Zimmerman in NESAT X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I expect to enjoy the Brandenburgh article very much when I get time to spend time reading it closely.

    ReplyDelete