I am overwhelmed with how many projects the Dreamstress has managed to complete for the Historical Sew Fortnightly, even during a year where life is catching up to her much more than usual. Of the twelve challenges presented by the Dreamstress for the first half of 2014, I have completed only these four:
- #1: Make Do & Mend: due January 1. I added a strip onto the bottom of my Byzantine himation so that it would be properly long enough. Not a lot of work was involved, but the result was very satisfying.
- #5: Bodice - due March 15. I made a "bog" blouse--a Bronze Age Scandinavian garment of which several examples have been found--from natural colored linen instead of wool. Photographs of me wearing it may be seen here.
- #7: Tops & Toes – due April 15. Of course, all I made was a simple pair of ancient Roman styled earrings, of which I need to get a better photograph, but you can see what they look like here.
- #9: Black and White – due May 15. This was the ancient Egyptian "bag tunic" with the simple trim. I only finished it this past weekend, and have yet to ask my husband to take some photographs of me wearing it to post here.
However, I'm still optimistic. I still intend to work on the sprang hairnet, the Vendel tunic, and the herringbone wool apron dress I planned to make for some of the early challenges, and I might actually get to complete them in time for some of the challenges later in 2014. We'll see what I can manage to do as the year progresses.