Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Article on Early Tortoise Brooches

Every once in a while, I cruise through Aardvarchaeology, Martin Rundkvist's blog, to see whether he's written lately about a Viking-era discovery. 

Sometimes I get lucky.  Today, I found a post of his from several months ago, giving a pointer to a long research article he had written, discussing and analyzing tortoise brooches from the Vendel period, i.e., the two hundred or so years immediately before the Viking age.  You can download the article from here and read his blog post talking about the article here.

I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but I'm looking forward to doing so.  Just knowing that there is a significant body of pre-Viking-age tortoise brooches is interesting, as it undoubtedly has information relevant to female costume just before the Viking age.

No comments:

Post a Comment