Monday, September 12, 2011

Saxon Brocaded Tablet Weaving

It's been hectic around here since my cat was horribly ill with a kidney infection last week (she's finally better, and home), but I've found another interesting link to share anyway.

This page by SCA member Elizabeth Peters contains instructions, and links to specific patterns, that will allow the discerning reader to reproduce the gold brocaded tablet woven bands Sonja Hawkes and Elizabeth Crowfoot wrote about for Medieval Archaeology. A PDF of the 1967 Hawkes and Crowfoot article may be downloaded here.  This sounds like a wonderful page to explore after I finish the Lagore Crannog band and my planned Snartemo design.

2 comments:

  1. Cool, I'm glad you found it useful. I'd love to see pics of how they come out!

    - Beth Peters

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth; welcome to my blog!

    I have so many projects that it may be a long time before I try the brocaded tablet weaving, but I suspect that I will. The combination of specific directions for the brocading with the ability to recreate actual specimens is likely to prove an overwhelming temptation for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete