At the beginning of March, I planned to use some blue wool flannel from my fabric stash to make a pair of cut-and-sewn stockings for the "Stashbusting" challenge for the Historical Sew Monthly.
After that, there were more bouts of killer winter weather, several rush projects at work that ate into my weekends, and another round or two of strep throat. As a result, it is nearly the end of March and I have done no work on the planned stockings whatsoever. Nada. Zip. Zero.
I was wondering whether I was going to have to give up on the March Stashbusting challenge altogether, when I found the video shown to the right of this post, which is one of a series of tutorial videos by Janet Stephens, hairdressing archaeologist, demonstrating her theories on how hairstyles depicted in classical Roman and Greek art were achieved.
As I watched the video, it occurred to me that the headwrap used for the second hairstyle would be easy to make, even in the time I have available, and that I could make it with linen fabric that I have in my stash. Unfortunately, I don't have a long enough piece of wool ribbon in my stash, but I could sew a ribbon out of wool fabric that I do have available. Perhaps even the remaining wool from the Iron Age skirt I made in February will serve. I don't have spangles to sew onto the ribbon, but I'm not sure that I'd want any. A patterned tablet-woven band would be ideal, but I definitely don't have time to weave one, and don't have suitable wool in my stash anyway. It will be fun to try out the Greek hairstyles, too.
Hopefully, this project will prove too simple for Murphy's Law to interfere, and I'll have something to post here before the end of the month. Watch this space!